Visit Ariccia, a tour through history and typical products, such as the famous "porchetta of Ariccia" to be enjoyed in an atmosphere rich in art and historic buildings.

Ariccia is a small town that is part of the Roman Castles,  surrounded by the towns of Albano Laziale, Castel Gandolfo, Marino and Genzano of Rome. Ariccia, as many others as the Alban Hills, is also part of the Regional Park of Castelli Romani.


Famous for its ancient history but also for the extraordinary legends, it is believed that Ariccia was the burial place of greek hero Orestes, as reported in a verse of the Aeneid by Virgilio. For centuries Ariccia was one of the favorite destinations of artists and writers who came to town to find peace and inspiration for their works. One of the firsts was the great poet Horace which is followed by painters and writers such as Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot, George Inness, Franz Ludwig Catel, JMW Turner, Mikhail Lebedev and Richard Wilson.


Today Ariccia continues to attract a large number of tourists coming to visit the ancient village but also to enjoy the roast pig of Ariccia (in italian "porchetta di Ariccia"), the tipycal  pork slowly cooked in the oven with herbs and fennel, an Italian product now known all around the world .



The origins of Ariccia are very ancient, as evidenced by artifacts found in the area dating back some 14 centuries ago. For years, the territory had to face tough battles to maintain its independence, as the famous Battle of Aricia around the sixth century BC. Ariccia has always been a place of reference for the holidays, thanks to the climate and location, halfway between the Lake Albano and the Lake of Nemi. Since ancient times, in fact, many people came to Ariccia to pray the goddess Diana, whose temple is located in Nemus Aricinum (now Nemi).


During the Middle Ages the town was the looting and assaults until 1473 when the city passed to the Savelli family. Following Ariccia was bought by the Chigi, who did redesign the layout of the city by the great architect Gian Lorenzo Bernini, who enlisted the help of Carlo Fontana. Around the second half of the eighteenth century Ariccia enjoyed a period of great splendor, especially in terms of architecture. During the Grand Tour d'Italie, famous literary artists of the time, stayed in the historic village.


During the Nineteenth Century, the urban structure of Ariccia changed dramatically when the route of the Via Appia, with Pope Pius IX, was rectified. It was in fact the pope in 1854 that start the construction of the bridge three tiers of arches, which overcome the very thick forest (now Park Chigi), where the road went up the hill Galloro.




The Bridge of Ariccia: This is a big monumental viaduct dating from the nineteenth century and is located along a stretch of State Road 7 Appian way.  The bridge was built in order to rectify once and for all the route of the Via Appia between Albano Laziale and Ariccia. On February 1, 1944, the bridge and the square tower of Palazzo Chigi were destroyed in the Anglo-American bombing of Ariccia and Albano Laziale. Until the reconstruction, which began immediately, was made an alternate path to war just to the valley, crossing the old spot in the park hosted Chigi.


Palace Savelli-Chigi: The Ducal Palace of Ariccia is a unique example of Baroque residence remained unchanged in its environment and its original furnishings. Started in the second half of the sixteenth century by the family of the Savelli, the palace was transformed by the Chigi family in a magnificent Baroque residence between 1664 and 1672 on a project idea of Gian Lorenzo Bernini, who used the help of his young student Carlo Fontana. In the building are preserved important collections of paintings, sculptures and furniture, mostly dating from the seventeenth century, and also from other family dwellings, including the building of Rome, sold to the state in 1918. Thanks to its architectural features the director Luchino Visconti environment in building the famous film "The Leopard". The building is currently used as a museum of itself and the center of many cultural activities.


Locanda Martorelli: This building is therefore of considerable significance for Ariccia also being connected to the memory of great artists in this country who spent periods of study and holiday and spread through their poetic works or picturesque, the image of the Castelli Romani in Europe. The "Locanda Martorelli" was purchased by the City of Ariccia in 1988 and, after careful restoration, site of frequent exhibitions of high artistic and documentary.


Palace Primoli: Located at the end of the course Ariccia, opposite the side of the former church of S. Nicola, the building was bought in the late '20s by Charles Lucien Bonaparte 800 Prince of Canino, Napoleon's brother. Through his daughter came to the Count Primoli. Typical neoclassical building, saw its heyday in the time of Gege Primoli, including eight-and twentieth century, when it housed, among others, Marcel Prevost, Gabriele D'Annunzio, Eleonora Duse, and Matilde Serao Aristide Sartorio.


Sanctuary of Galloro: Prince Paul Savelli, lord of Ariccia, he decided to build a real church called Immaculate Conception. With the assumption of the papacy of Cardinal Fabio Chigi, Pope Alexander VII, Gian Lorenzo Bernini was asked to design the collegiate and place of the sanctuary Galloro.


Archaeological Finds: During the imperial period was established along the Via Appia, a large city full of temples, baths, forums and public buildings, whose territory extended to the Temple of Diana on the shores of Lake of Nemi, was filled with luxurious mansions, of which many remains still exist. We recall the villa of the Emperor Vitellius (69 AD) in addition to the remains of a nymph, still survive the remains of some large cisterns that fed the house, whose extension had to embrace a territory of several acres, as documented by discoveries made in the areas nearby.




By Car 

Motorway: A1 (E45)- from south exit in the direction of Monte Porzio Catone, from north to Rome GRA, take exit 23 Via Appia Nuova, follow the signs to the Ciampino Airport- Albano Laziale. From Rome: Leave the town and continue along the Via Appia Antica for 1.1 km, turn left onto Vicolo della Basilica, and then turn right on Via Appia Pignatelli where to continue for 4 miles until you cross Fourth Mile. Continue on Via Appia Nuova for 1.5km to the SS7; pass near Poggio delle Mole. arrive at AlbanoLaziale, and then follow through the city via Villini and after about 600 m arrivals Ariccia.


By Train

Take the train from Termini Train Station of Rome towards Albano Laziale. Once you arrive at the terminal, you must take the bus Co.Tral directly to Colleferro, Cori, Latina, Velletri, Genzano of Rome, Lanuvio.


For all the others information visit the website of the Municipality of Ariccia.


There are no advices. Login to insert a new one!

Social Advices